Tuesday, 8 September 2026

Alex Gerlis Interview

Alex Gerlis granted me the opportunity to ask him some questions following the release of his most recent book CITY OF TRAITORS which I reviewed last month. The book is the third book in the Double Agent series - released by Canelo - and it will reach it's thrilling finally next year.



This is the third book of the series, what was the original genesis of this series?
I wanted to cover a sweep of European history - from Stalin's purges and the rise of the Nazis in the 1930s, the Second World War, the start of the Cold War and the events of 1956

- The book is so well researched, do you enjoy research?
I do yes - and I also find that the research throws up interesting plot and storylines

- Do you like to travel as much as Charles Cooper?
I enjoy travelling, yes - perhaps not in the same way as Cooper and certainly not in clandestine circumstances but I like to visit the key locations covered in my books.

- Was this all plotted out and meant to be a four part series from the outset?
yes, I always envisaged this as a four-part series and I had a sense of what period and - to an extent - what events would be covered in each book and I also had an idea of how it would end. I've actually just written the end of the final book and it's far closer to the original ending I had in mind than I'd have expected. I like a book to develop and evolve as I'm writing it, but with a series you do have to be a bit more disciplined.

- The series has grown as it's gone on, from London to Europe to now America, was that deliberate?
Yes, I like the idea of including different countries. America was always part of the plan - it works with the plot.

- What is your typical writing day?
There's no absolutely typical writing day, I don't have a strict routine in that sense but I do try to write in the mornings and then from mid/late afternoon for 2/3 hours - but I often work around whatever else is going on in my life.  

- What spy books are you reading at the moment? Any recommendations?
Icarus 17 by Charles Cumming and Appointment in PAris by Jane Thynee. Both very good.

City of Traitors is out now from Canelo on all formats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment